West Smethwick Park
West Smethwick Park is historically important to both Sandwell and the region. It was donated in its entirety in 1895 by James Timmins Chance, of Chance Brothers Glassworks, Spon Lane, Smethwick, world leaders in glass technology at the time.
With the park suffering decline over the years, Urban Design, alongside their client Parks and Countryside Services, submitted a Round 1 bid to the HLF for funding to develop park restoration proposals. Not only was the bid successful, but the Urban Design team was also chosen, against national competition, to carry out this work.
A ‘Round 2’ bid will be submitted in February 2017, which if successful, means a further HLF grant will be awarded for the delivery of the scheme to completion.
Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and Big Lottery Fund (BIG) application for £4.5 million, under the Parks for People Programme. Sandwell Council will contribute a further £700,000, giving a total restoration budget of £5.2 million
Main Design Elements:
- A new split-level community pavilion and outdoor events space to replace the original refreshment rooms lost in the 1980’s. This will bring the community focus back into the centre of the park, and will accommodate a cafe, meeting area, toilets, exhibition space and a large studio for dance or exercise. An outdoor performance space will be directly accessible from the lower level.
- Restoration of the historic features
- Grade 11 listed James Chance Memorial
- Drinking Fountain
- Airmen’s Memorial
- Entrance Gateway – West Park Road
- Entrance Gateway – Victoria Road
- Pool improvements
- Tree and planting work
- Restored footpaths
- New seating, bins, signage and lighting
- New fitness equipment