Smethwick Council House

As part of the strategy to improve civic assets in the borough, repairs to the external elevations and the roof was required at Smethwick Council House. This Grade 2 listed building, designed by Fred J Gill and constructed between 1905-1907, is the most prominent building in Smethwick. The terracotta to the building facade had been damaged over the years by water penetration, the roof had suffered from lead theft and emergency repairs, the rainwater goods were not working efficiently and the prominent clock tower had suffered from exposure to the elements. The proposal was to restore the Council House back to its former glory and for it to be an emblem of pride for local people who visit and who pass by.

Project Details:

  • Careful removal and replacement of over 100 damaged terracotta blocks.
  • Sympathetic repairs of terracotta blocks with minor damage.
  • Repairs, replacement and redecoration of all rainwater goods.
  • Removal of the iron pigeon spikes that were fixed into the terracotta and causing damage and replacement with pigeon deterrents more suited to historic facades.              
  • Re-slating of the entire pitched roof with slates carefully selected to match the existing in size and shape. 
  • Replacement flat roofs.
  • Replacement and repair of rotten and damaged timberwork to the clock tower.
  • Compete redecoration of the tower and gold leaf applied to the spike.
  • Internal and external repairs & redecoration to the two ornate roof domes.
  • Repairs and redecoration of all windows and external doors.
  • Associated works including reconstruction of terracotta to lightwell, repair and redecoration of railings, installation of new external  fire escape stairway and minor internal refurbishment.   

‹ Back